In doing this exercise, I've learned to be more grateful for the mundane things in life... for we cannot have the interesting without the mundane, and to discover just how interesting the mundane can be.
In writing these odes to such objects, I understand just how much I like to humanize things, to relate a universal truth and a universal meaning to pretty much anything. I had a battle of the sexes between an incense burner and an incense stick. I related blue chips with a subject of worship, a boot with an old flame, air with she who I took for granted, a computer to the sexy mind of a nerd I had fallen for once, the list continues...
It's fun. And I discovered something about my writing which I try to avoid but just can't - and that's the habitual desire to relate universal truths to the human mind and intentions. I just can't escape metaphors, themes, and sadly, exposition. I don't mean to be preachy or didactic, but sometimes I can't help it. I guess that's why I work on a preschool show, also a project from which I can't escape.
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment